dhar-ma (n) the essential nature of a thing. cakes (n) a sweet baked food.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

For the Love of Muffins - Banana Mango Tropical Fiesta Muffins

I think muffins may just be the worlds most perfect food. Think about it; moist bread, fruit, just the right hint of sweetness, portable in those cute paper wrappers... really what's not to love about a muffin?

So when I feel in the mood to bake something, muffins are usually at the top of my list. Quick and easy with virtually instant gratification. Back in my pre-Gfree clean eating days I had come up with a simple base muffin recipe which I could then modify to suit my needs, depending on what flavor combination I was in the mood for.

I am currently taking an Educational Psychology class which meets two Saturdays a month, for eight hours each session. That's right... I said an eight hour psychology class. Needing something to bring with me to munch on, I trotted out my old muffin recipe and stared into the fridge to see what kind of fruit I had on hand. I am on a big banana kick right now. I am literally putting bananas into everything I eat, including my daily morning smoothie. So obviously bananas are in... now what goes with banana... I see a gorgeous mango gazing up at me from within the fruit chiller and the light bulb goes on. Banana Mango Muffins! Oh with coconut, definitely coconut... it'll be a tropical fiesta in muffin form!

So here it is Dharma Cakes... my new and improved G-Free, Vegan, Banana Mango Tropical Fiesta Muffins.
These muffins came out light, fluffy, and super moist, with a very subtle sweetness. I think the secret to getting that fluffyness was whipping the banana and mango together in the food processor until it became an airy mousse consistency. And the toasted coconut on the top... gorgeous... Just what I needed to get me through the day.

Banana Mango Tropical Fiesta Muffins

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup certified gluten free oats
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon


Wet Ingredients:
1 Tbs ground flax seed + 3 Tbs water - let sit for 5 min to gel (or egg replacer for 1 egg)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract


Fruit:
1 banana
1 large mango
Shredded coconut for topping

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease muffin pan or line with paper liners, set aside.

Mix together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir making sure the mix is well blended. Roughly chop up the banana and mango and puree in the food processor until light and foamy. You want an almost mousse like consistency here. Gently fold into the batter.

Pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle shredded coconut over the tops of muffins. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until gold in color and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Let the muffins cool for about an hour to let the flavors blend. Hot banana, mango doesn't taste like much, but cooled.... well that's a whole other story.

The excellent thing about this recipe is that you can replace the fruit with just about any combination you want. Just add approximately 1 cup of fruit of your choosing to the overall mix for a whole new flavor experience.

Makes 1 dozen muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment